Friday, January 4, 2008

You Never Know What's Around The Next Corner


So, today I had to go pick up something at the attorney's office late in the afternoon. It was about 4p. His office is located one block off front street in Harrisburg. We spoke for a while and I left the office, got in my car and proceeded to drive home. Upon leaving the office parking lot, I turned left onto 2nd Street, then left onto a street that took me to front street. As soon as I turned the corner, the beauty of the moment, the fantastic light shone in my face. I pulled the car over to the curb, grabbed my camera and just started shooting. The above picture is the first in the series. It is untouched, raw out of the camera to give you an indication of just how spectacular the moment was.
Moments like that can't help but remind one that God does exist. For me it is a reminder of the words of Alma to Korihor, "...behold, I have all things as a testimony that (there is a God and Christ shall come); ... yea, and all things denote there is a God, yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator."
Sunsets like this witness to me that there is a God. This kind of beauty, albeit telestial, brings warmth and peace and whispers God is in His heaven. The geese were very cooperative and posed quite nicely for me. They knew it would be posted on the internet and wanted their 15 minutes of fame.
I love the bridges across the Susquehanna. From downtown one can see seven bridges, each beautiful in its own way and complimenting the beauty of the bridges next to it. On this night the river water was calm and doubled the beauty by reflecting it. So, after I had taken enough pictures to become quite cold, (it was 30 degrees with a breeze), I returned to the car to drive back to the office. From the freeway it was difficult to see the sky and as I exited my back was to the sunset, my mind was on business and the images were fading already.
Then, as I turned into the office parking lot the view took my breath away. Once again, park the car in the middle of the road (thank goodness it is lightly travelled), grab the camera and just start shooting. The picture above doesn't quite do the sky justice but gives an indication of just how spectacularly beautiful a winter sunset in central Pennsylvania can be - and that God lives.

No comments: