Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life By The Tracks

16 January 2008 - At the end of the day, on the way home, I drive down another unfamiliar road, just to see what's there. The road ends at some railroad tracks and a creek, and there at the end of the road is a very pretty dairy farm. I wondered whether is was advantageous in any way to farm next to the tracks or if perhaps dairy cows kept up at night by squealing steel and rumbling wheels produced less milk for lack of sleep. It took me back to a time in 1974 when I lived with three other elders in Harburg, Germany (a suburb of Hamburg) on Buxtehuder Strasse with the railroad tracks in the backyard. Buxtehuder Strasse was the main road between Hamburg and Cuxhaven, the North Sea port city. Big trucks rumbled past the front windows all night and periodically squealing, speeding trains screamed as they sped through the backyard. I had problems sleeping there. I was a brand new missionary, straight out of the LTM. That may have had something to do with it, or it may have been those trucks and trains. I've never been a long sleeper. As a senior in high school I always wathced Johnny Carson's opening dialogue before going to sleep at 11:45pm and then waking at 5:30a for seminary. I got good grades and made it into college, so perhaps it didn't hurt me. Perhaps I was no less a missionary because I couldn't sleep as long as missionary rules required (10p - 6a). I remember discussing the matter with President Schwendiman who told me essentially not to stress about it and just get as much sleep as I needed. So, how about cows? Do they sleep? Do they give more milk if they get more sleep? Are they kept awake by passing trains? I have no idea, but thinking is part of the fun of life - not necessarily having all the answers - just thinking.

No comments: