Thursday, January 24, 2008

Little Man In A Little Suit

What do you do when your eldest grandson shows up at church in a full suit looking like a little man? Take pictures, of course! This is one of those, "Watch out because time flies!," moments.
I still so vividly remember going to Utah to be with Annie and Kelly for the first ultra-sound. Is that involved grandparenting, or what? I remember the doctor, who conducted the ultrasound himself, (in his office - is that even possible in PA?) explaining everything we were looking at. I recall Jeanne and Annie somehow knowing what they were looking at and Kelly and myself pretending to know so we wouldn't look stupid. Of course, who can ever forget the doctor's infamous words, "Here's the right knee, here's the left knee, and here's the weenie!" It's a boy!! Kelly's got a full-face smile.
I remember just waiting for the call that the baby was coming and getting on a plane within hours of the call to fly to Utah and be there. I remember walking into Utah Valley Hospital, exactly 25 years to the day that Annie was born, to see her holding her own child. It was surreal. In a moment, 25 years flashed through my head and left me wondering how it had all happened. It seemed like I should still be standing in that very place, staring with wonder and awe at my first child, instead of the first grandchild. It was overwhelming and awesome. And now, here he is, dressed in a suit and tie. I am absolutely certain, 14 1/2 years from now as I take another picture of Addison dressed in suit and tie, headed off for the best two years of his life, this will all replay again, and again and again. Itsn't life sweet? Even if it does all go a bit too fast.

1 comment:

byoung said...

this one made me cry-not sure why, maybe it is just the elegant wording for the phenomenon.
thanks for writing and posting so much-i enjoy it
becca