Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Black Eyes, Survival, And Smiles

Look Papa, I have a black eye! Just thinking about banging a head into the couch, or the coffee table, or the bookshelf, or the hard object "de jour" makes me cringe with imagined pain. How do children ever survive? I can't answer that, but I know they do. Banging heads is nothing new, it's been going on for generations. When my parents started calling me "accident prone" it didn't do anything to improve the problem. Things just seemed to happen to me. Like when Craig was showing me how he could balance on the ladder to the top bunk, lost his balance and the curved, sharp part intended to grasp the top bunk bed rail, grasped my head instead. Or the time the teeter-totter in our back yard somehow ended up underneath my chin. Or the time Craig and I were climbing trees and I slipped and was impaled all the way through my cheek (as in the face). I think it wise not to complain about that certain event since; a) had that branch not interrupted my fall by poking itself through my cheek, I may have fallen all the way to the ground which would have really hurt me, and b) Craig used up all the water in his canteen to wash out the wound which I think he is still a little irked about to this day! There was the time I thought it possible to ride a bike with no hands and found it impossible to the tune of about 5 stitches to the forehead or the time a routine back flip on the Jones' trampoline in Las Vegas led to several more stitches. But, purely by the grace of God, I survived and kids still do. It's one of the many unheralded miracles of life.
Now, how parents survive is another question entirely (although it's possible that plays into the survival of children question in an entirely different way). I call the above picture "perpetual motion." Annie seems to think there is another picture already entitled that which would make this one "Perpetual Motion II" and chances are there will be more because Addison is in motion all the time. And Addison hurts himself which brings pain to his parents and sometimes his parents hurt themselves trying to keep him from hurting himself, but they all survive. Another miracle.
Please note that above is the best survival method of all - smiling. Just keep smiling. Wet hair, crazy kids, nutty dad with a camera - just keep smiling. I loved it when my parents smiled. It was calming and soothing and reassuring and enlivening, not to mention what it must have done for them. I believe in smiles. They are beneficial and therapeutic in many ways and it's a joy to have children and grandchildren who embrace smiling. Thanks to you all. And keep on surviving where ever you are.

No comments: