Thursday, January 17, 2008

January 9th - Covered Bridges

Has anyone out there been having problems uploading images to their blogs? For whatever reason I can't upload multiple images and it takes forever to upload just one. any suggestions? That being said, many of you know that Annie and Jeanne and I walk together most mornings and talk for about 45 minutes to an hour. Our discussions range from strange to sublime. On this morning Annie told me I should take pictures of the covered bridges of Lancaster county. I thought that would be a good idea.
So, on my way home from Denver, I stopped just outside Ephrata where there is a really cool covered bridge in a beautiful setting. Only problem is, the bridge is gone. It had been replaced by a cement bridge. That was sad. So much for a good idea. I needed to stop in Manheim before going home and on the way home from Manheim there was a covered bridge I had travelled over hundreds of times in the last 14 years.
I discovered something about photographing covered bridges, at least this one. It's hard! First of all, there are fences on all sides of it and private property postings. Maybe the farm owners get tired of people wandering on their property so they can get a good picture of a covered bridge. I was sure the signs were intended exclusively for tourists so I got through the barbed-wire and took some shots. Second, covered bridges generally span creeks which, when they become swollen the day before flow over their banks and make all the surrounding land a bog. When one is not wearing high rubber boots, this can be a problem (note to self, if you are going to be a serious photographer, take the golf clubs out of the back of the car and replace them with rubber boots). Third, you need wider lenses than are in my bad to do it justice, that's why I am currently watching 12 lenses on ebay ranging from 17 to 24mm at the wide end (my widest is 28mm which when used on the d200 equates to 42mm). And lastly, it must take practice to see all the angles and know what to shoot. That's one of the things I've pretended to be good at, but this experience reminded me how much more there is to learn. So, here is a first attempt at "Covered Bridges" with the hope that subsequent attempts will produce better results.

No comments: