Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Grateful For The Pilot

If you're looking for chronology here, I'm deeply sorry to disappoint. The day of this posting is 22 January 2008 and the day of these pictures, I believe is the 15th of January. My last post, about the party was from January 21st. "Why?", you ask. Well, forgive me, but I'm trying to catch up on my blogging without going further in the hole with current events. The day will certainly come when these entries are in order. That said, today, while looking at pictures from last week, I was reminded what a blessing the Honda Pilot is. "Why do these pictures remind you of that?", you ask. Well, last Tuesday was the Pilot's 60K mile service. Babby Rahall Honda is almost to Carlisle, so on the drive over and back and while there, I found things to take pictures of. That's why! My life really does all make sense. Back to the Pilot. 60,000 miles and not a single problem. It's an SUV. You'd think there would be some problems, but not one. After sixty thousand miles, I'm still driving on the same tires, and they have lots of miles left. In 60k miles, I think there have been 7 or 8 services. This is only the second one to cost over $100. Before the Pilot I drove a Mercedes E350 station wagon. It was in the shop a minimum of every 3 months and only ONCE was a service lesss than $1,000! Sure, it was nice. It looked nice, it drove nice, it felt nice, but for me, a car must be reliable regardless of what other redeeming qualities it may have. So, the day the Mercedes stopped running for the 4th time, I went to the Honda dealer. Jeanne and I had a Honda Civic in 1977 when we got married. It never had problems. Over the years we have owned various Civics and Accords, all of which never had any problems. So, I went to the Honda dealer and in about 25 minutes, I drove away in a Honda Pilot, and it has never had any problems.
While there, an employee's wife came in with their new puppy. I'm a sucker for puppies. Many years ago when we lived in Bothell, I brought one home from the Humane Society. We've almost always had a dog since we've been married. Ruby, the dog we've had in PA (we rescued her by request from one of Becca's high school friends), died several months ago and she's the last dog we'll ever have, I suspect. But, the puppy was cute and the girl was cute, so I took a picture. Not a good one, but a reminder of what happened that day.

One the way home, late in the afternoon, the winter light was doing its thing, so I stopped to take another farm picture. Rust is interesting. It's a real pain if it is affecting something you own, but it sure is cool in pictures.

No comments: