Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cats (is) Coming

The grammar sounds wrong but is actually correct. Cats is the name of a show and Emily is in it. Elizabethtown Area High School has decided to produce Cats as its musical this year. Mr. Biddle has asked me to sell pictures again in the lobby to make money for the drama department so I'm practicing to be more ready than last year. It's a little tough right now because everyone is wearing black "cat" suits. Trying to get black in low light without noise has been a challenge, but it should be better when everyone is wearing their real costumes which will be much more colorful.
Emily is a kitten but has distinguished herself with her dancing. She has moved to the front line in several of the dances. I think only 3 freshman made it into the show. So, even though Emily was disappointed she didn't get the part she wanted it's still quite an accomplishment to be in the show at all. Leading up to auditions she kept telling me, "I'm so using the secret to get this part." Over and over again she told me she was using the secret. The day she found out she didn't get the part she was down and said essentially, "the secret doesn't work." I asked, "How long until opening night?" "Two and a half months." "And you don't think someone could break a leg or get seriously ill in that time?" "Dad! That's terrible!" "You are the one who decided to use the secret. I'm just saying that it does work if you really want it to." Within a couple of days she came home and said the girl who got her part had sprained her ankle bad in rehersal. I kind of winked at her. "I don't want to get the part like that." So, she's happy now and doing well.
I think there are only 16 kids in the show and probably 14 of them are girls. Must be a sparse year for guys. Emily tells me next year Mr. Biddle wants to do "Guys and Dolls." He'll certainly need more than four guys for that one.

No comments: