Friday, February 8, 2008

Bizzare Weather

The day after deadly tornadoes killed over 50 people in Arkansas and Tennessee (6 Feb 2008), the edge of the system worked its way into the Susquehanna Valley. Temperatures rose from the 30's to the 60's and the effect was quite eerie. So, what happens when it's suddenly 65 degrees in the first part of February? Well, first of the all the National Weather Service posts advisories warning of possible tornadoes. Then, the sky starts to look very strange (see above picture). As you can see, there is beauty in strangeness. There's certainly a lesson to be learned from that.
Out of strangeness comes transcendent beauty. I was down by the river taking pictures and turned around to see this spectacular rainbow in the sky. Unfortunately, to get to the river, I had parked by the side of Rt. 441, just down stream from TMI, crossed a gate, climbed a hill, crossed the railroad tracks, climbed down a large hill and arrived at the river. It was a long way back to the car and a long way back to where I could get a clear shot of the rainbow, so I took what I could. But, the point, of course, is, that there is wonderful beauty in everything - in all of God's creations.
I made my way back to the car. By then the rainbow was waning. I tried to drive to a spot where I could see it better, but it was gone before a good spot came. So, I drove down to the river below the dam and encountered the sky in the above photo and the remaining photos in this post. As you can see, the sky did spectacular things as a result of the strange weather.
People did strange things as a result of the weather as well. Despite tornado warnings, the warm weather brought out hordes of fishermen. It is practically dark and they are lining the river. It was interesting to talk to them and find out that they fish for walleye and pike in the Susquehanna. Who would have known?
The sky really began to look ominous at about this point.
But, I guess if the fish are biting, who cares about a little tornado. I asked the above fisherman if he frequently got a chance to fish in the middle of February. His response, "I fish everyday of the year." He seemed like a nice guy, easy-going, happy. Maybe I ought to try fishing and see if there's something magical about it.
The above sky is the "left" side of the sky. The storm is passing on the right. As I'm taking this picture, a fisherman, who has just put his stuff away, says, "I think I see something coming down from that cloud."

There's time for a couple more pictures, but then as the rain begins to fall and the clouds begin to look ever spookier, it's time to pack it up and go home.

No comments: