Thursday, February 7, 2008

Balance

They say living life successfully is all about balance. So, here's a little balancing act. Perry Raleigh was sick today and stayed home from church (Feb. 3, 2008). Ian, his son, takes his fast offering collection assignment very seriously. Instead of not doing it because his dad (who drives him and is his companion) was sick, he asked me if I would take him. OK, that's fine, I like giving service and being a good guy. So, after dinner, the sun is starting to get low and Kelly and I are thinking we need to keep our Sunday afternoon outings intact. I call Ian, to tell him we'll be there in a few minutes to pick him up. Upon arrival, we inform him it's going to be a little longer than he anticipated, but he'd enjoy it. I say, "Kelly, where should we go?" Ian says, "To the Schmoel's." He's serious about his assignment and hasn't quite caught on yet that he is captive for a photo shoot along with fast offering collection. The Schmoel's live in Maytown. May as well see if there's anything to shoot on the way there. We drive to Schmoel's. Park the car. Ian gets out and says, "You have to come with me." "I thought I was just driving, otherwise I wouldn't have taken my tie off!" "If you were just driving, my mother could have done that. I needed a companion." It was simple logic and made me worry about my deductive powers. We walk up one flight to the door, ring, wait, knock. No one home. An idea pops into my head. Let's go to Chickies Rock and take pictures. It's not far. We can stop at Schmoel's on the way back. I've never been there before. Ian is ok with the idea.
And this is where balance comes into play. We were on the Lord's errand and got rewarded for doing the right thing. The sunset was spectacular. Kelly had a great time. Ian had a great time. Rodger had a great time. I call the above picture "Big Sky at Big Bend." There is a BIG bend in the river between Marietta and Columbia.
As mentioned, Kelly and Ian had a good time. I gave Ian the D50 and let him do whatever he wanted. He took some nice pictures.

And here's a happy face of a highly rewarded and blessed guy. After pictures we stopped back at the Schmoel's and they were home and gave Ian a fast offering. Then we dropped Kelly off at home and went to the Sim's who were also home and gave a fast offering and we talked about Jessa's upcoming operation and Jerra living at our house for the summer (the Sim's are moving when school ends). It was a very successful trip. Anyway, the point is, if you balance things - LIFE IS GREAT!

No comments: