Saturday, February 2, 2008

and again ...

May I bore you with ice one more time? Please? You see the reason it's important is so you'll know just what lengths I'll go to get a picture. Which is sort of a defining thing for someone who wants to get good at something. What risks must be taken in order to get good?
Well, of course, there are hundreds of kinds of risks that can be taken but I believe anyone who ever got really good at anything had to be a risk taker. So, maybe, just maybe, I have a chance at getting good at photography based on the events of the 28th of January. You see, the sun was out, the ice was still on the river (but not for much longer) and even though I'd taken some pretty good shots of the ice, there had to be one or two more that I had missed. And there was no doubt that the ones so far missed were the best!
So to access the river I climbed down a small embankment. The temperatures had risen some and my shoes were getting a little muddy. I figured to be a serious photographer you couldn't worry about muddy shoes. (Remember my discussion on rubber boots? Obviously not in the car yet.) Well, in order to come up around a tree trunk right on the edge of the river I needed to step up a small embankment. Did I mention that I had my D50 and my D200 around my neck? The reason being I wanted a wide lens with me so the D50 had the 18-35 and the D200 had the 28 - 105. As I stepped up the bank, my foot slipped. I noted that I needed to be very careful because the melting had left some slippery conditions and searched for another spot to get up the bank. Upon finding a secure spot, I stepped up and began to come straight down on my face. Except, it didn't matter about the face, what mattered were the cameras. Too bad it's not on video, because somehow I got a hold of both cameras, turned slightly and took full impact on my elbow. "Ouch", you say, "I'll bet that hurt your elbow!" Wrong. The impact traveled straight through my elbow, up my humorous and directly into my shoulder socket. Now you can say "ouch!" But, I SAVED THE CAMERAS! Later, when Jeanne asked about it and I told her the whole story (probably looking for a little sympathy) she said, "it's a good thing you saved the camera. That cost me an entire paycheck!" I'm very glad she bought me the camera and more glad it was saved. Is descending down a 3 foot slippery embankment to get a good shot enough risk to think one day I might be a good photographer? (Be kind.)

No comments: