Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Time Flies But Don't Miss the Beauty

If you ever wonder whether time goes fast, just own a car that tells you when it's time to get your next service and then starts counting the miles since it should have gotten done and reminds you every time you start the car. Some time ago when the Honda Pilot needed service (service was due in 1000 miles) I called to get an appointment with the service department. They had no waiting appointments and no loaners that day so it was determined we'd try again "later." Some time after that, right when the service was due I tried again, same story. When service was 1000 miles overdue I made an appointment but that day fell apart and the appointment was missed. Yesterday, as I drove to work and the car reminded me that it should have been serviced 5000 miles ago, it became apparent that this was the day for service no matter what. How had so much time passed since the first attempt at an appointment? Time flies! There's a scripture that says the days will be shortened (Matt 24:22) and it seems to me they have been. Time flies!! I was always told time would go faster as I got older, but there's something different. For example, when I was young, school, of course, lasted for ever, but so did summer vacation. We were all so bored we relished going back to school. Now, kids will tell you in the fall that summer just started and in the spring the school year flew by (I NEVER thought that!). So, time seems to be literally flying by now. Anyway, I called the dealer, they told me they had no available appointments and I said, essentially, "yes you do," and suddenly they did. They told me they had no loaners and I'd have to wait for 2 1/2 hours. Whatever! It needs to be done. Upon arrival, the service rep said, "will you be waiting in the waiting room?" "Only if a loaner that went out this morning hasn't already been returned." "I'll check on that." Well, there was a loaner so I didn't have to wait in the waiting room and coincidentally had my camera (never leave home without it). Which leads to the "Don't Miss the Beauty" part of the title.
Not far from the dealership is a little stream called the Yellow Breeches. The Yellow Breeches is a world famous dry fly trout fishing stream. It also happens to be beautiful. the above picture was taken perhaps one mile from the dealer and the same distance from Interstate 81, I-76, and Rt. 11, all main highways. That's truly a remarkable thing about PA. Beauty is everywhere, even just minutes from huge population centers. I don't know how the stream was named but it does have a yellowish hue about it.
From there I traveled a very short distance to a pond noticed on the way to the dealership. It was right off the side of the road across from an elementary school. It had beautiful views all around it. While looking for the perfect views, I walked the edge of the pond to the far end. Upon reaching the end there was a rustling noise and a large bird flew off the pond into a nearby tree. It was unlike any bird I'd ever seen so I walked all the way back to the car to get my 80mm-400mm lens to take pictures of the bird.
As it turns out the bird is a Green Heron. It is really beautiful. It seemed to be nesting in the branches of a Pine Tree just over the pond. As the Primary song so truthfully teaches, "There is Beauty All Around."

1 comment:

Annie Ditto said...

YEA!!! It's so good o read your blog again! I love it! I love the bird picture! He posed well for you! I hope this whole writing thing becomes a more regular thing! Love, Annie