Sunday, June 22, 2008

1st Shoot

Well, here it is, my first attempt at paid senior picture photo shoots. Kirsten and Kelly. Kirsten, of course, grew up across the street. She's been waiting to get this done for a long time. Last year I took some "Junior Pictures" for her and took some family pictures of her extended family. I must say, it was a bit harder going for the artistic shots than I thought it would be. Kirsten just had this painted on smile every time the camera trained on her. I must have told her a thousand times, "less smile." Today, when she looked at the pictures she commented about her "fake smile." It was hard not to say, "I told you so."
Kelly was a fun little poser. She'd do what you asked her to and she also was creative in coming up with her own ideas. We'd been posing Kirsten in this door for some time without much success then got Kelly in there and she was imediately comfortable and creative in her poses. Kirsten came back for a second try after kelly was done.
The colors and light along the creek leading to the Susquehanna are just spectacular. It was particularly beautiful to have the green background contrast Kelly's red hair.
As we were on our way back to the car Kelly stepped over this rock and I said, "Kelly, lie down on that rock and look at the camera." It was the best shot of Kelly of the entire shoot.
This is probably my favorite shot of the entire shoot. Kirsten and I had waded across the creek on our way to a bank of rocks when I turned around to see where she was and the light was just fantastic. I told her to stop right there and got this shot. The best part of photography is looking for and seeing things I used to simply miss - there really is beauty all around us.

No comments: