Monday, March 31, 2008

More Family

At the time of the get together, Wills (Bill & Mary Ellen's son) was dating a girl from Peru named America. Great name! Really nice girl. I introduced my self and asked, "how are you?," "very brave," she said. It was a genuinely funny response because many members of the family upon finding out she would be staying in the dormitory-style housing told her she was "very brave." So she adopted that as her response to the many introductions and "how are you"'s. I don't know if the relationship is alive at the time of this writing, but she was very nice and very fun to meet.
Mary Ellen did her magic again with writing words to a song that we could all sing to Lucy. She altered the words of "Timeless To Me" from the musical "Hairspray" and all the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren sang to her on Sunday. It was perfect. Mary Ellen had done this one memorable time before when Bob and Lucy left on their mission in about 1992. It was so memorable that two summers ago at Bob's 80th at the Lake House, Annie sang the whole song to them and Kelly got it on video. I'm sure years and years from now, Emily will sing this one again.
Kelly just loves everything about being on vacation. He loves to ride, he loves to hang out and talk with everybody and easily meets and embraces the extended family members. He was and is and always will be the perfect addition to our family.
This is really a pretty good smile for Lucy in front of a camera. In fact, I got more smiley pictures on this trip than any other. (Oh, just as a side light - if you'll take notice of the jacket she's wearing, I (Rodger) actually picked it out for her! This constitutes a complete role reversal and closes a rather lengthy circle, as for many years I could literally look down at my clothing and see that everything had been purchased by Lucy [except the underwear and maybe the shoes.] So, this is one of the more meaningful blogs ever produced at this site and should be kept forever by my posterity.)
All of us commented how much more relaxed these get togethers are since we've gotten old. We're just more mellow - including Jon - who's looking good here.
This was the spectacular view from the parking lot of the lodge. Timpanogas is a beautiful mountain and represents a significant landmark in all of our lives. This first time I saw it was when I arrived in Provo as a freshman at BYU. It guards the whole valley and I never tired of looking at it, even marveling at its beauty. Jeanne picked rocks there at Sundance ski resort to get her pass to ski there on the BYU ski team (even though the golf team got passes for free - which still bothers her to this day. In fact, two weeks ago, Jeanne and I went to the Washington, D.C. area to do a youth fireside in the home of a fellow graduate from the MBA program who had golfed at BYU. She even mentioned there the fact that she had to pick rocks and he, who didn't even make the team, got a pass for free.) Anyway, it is a spectacular mountain and I fell like this picture does it justice. You can see the snow being whipped toward the top of the mountain. The next day Casey and I were looking up at it from the parking lot in the evening and watched a huge avalanche roar down from the top and over a ridge. It was quite a site and a reminder that Timp is a real mountain, with real dangers despite its spectacular beauty.
Jeanne still has what it takes to teach skiing. Even when she wants to be skiing with the "big kids" she sacrifices and spends time teaching the little ones how to do it. Of course, in the end, this will be her legacy, that she ALWAYS was willing to subjugate her own will to help someone else out - pretty Celestial, wouldn't you say? She's worked hard over the years to teach me this one, and I've learned a little but will definately be clinging to skirt tails when the judgment comes. Addison is a quick learner, but akin to Bill, who always wanted to put speed above responsibility. He is a good athlete and will be a good skier (or boarder) so long as he lives through the learning experience.
Oh, and cute too!
Casey is tremendously studious and felt more pressure from school obligations than the rest. He spent a lot of time with us though and we were very grateful. He's still always fun to be around, always nice to children and adults and way too smart for most of us. His mind is always posing meaningful questions that lead to interesting discussions which is fun.

This is the wonderful thing about the Hickman family which is so unusual for most families I know. I can't even tell you how Molly and Mary are related. Mary's mother is Molly's father's niece. What does that make them? I don't know! But this picture portrays how well they know each other and how much they love each other even though I can't describe how they are related. Furthermore, Molly lives in Seattle and Mary lives in Utah. Anyway, that pretty much describes just how close the Hickman family is. (I would like to say that I'm spending much more time on the phone with my brothers lately! Something I should have done long ago.)

1 comment:

Ditto said...

Great Post, Rodger. It's true, I love pretty much everything about vacation, and I feel like the Pickett/Hickman family is the perfect addition to my life.