Thursday, August 7, 2008

God Will Use You on Vacation

Meet the Smarts - as in "Get Smart." Once again, in more or less traditional fashion, I had prayed that we could be instruments in God's hands. It's a standard for me. Don't get me wrong, I mean it and earnestly want to do God's handiwork but most days it's not directly obvious what work was done.


So, on this day, Jeanne and I are eating at a famous little dive of a restaurant, The Lobster Pool, situated right on the ocean in Rockport, Mass., because the Shaffers told us it was a great place (who better to know about food than Byron Shaffer). Anyway, as expected, the food is very good and the scenery over the ocean is beautiful. The only real trade-off is putting up with the bugs in the grass that like to eat your legs. We could have eaten inside, but then it truly would have been just a dive of a restaurant.


Anyway, while eating, I notice this couple who look about our age. I noticed them because there are only about 20 of us crazy enough to put up with the bugs outside so we all noticed each other. After dinner, I get the camera out and start taking some pictures of the sunset and while doing so hear a woman's voice, "You look like someone who knows what they're doing, would you mind taking our pictures. My husband is so embarrassed that I'm asking you but it's our 30th anniversary and I'd like to have some nice pictures," she says while offering me her camera.

I gladly accepted the offer but suggested the pictures be taken with my camera and the picture taking led to a long, seaside conversation about California, nursing, social work and more. It was a great time, and at the same time, I felt again like the Lord had used me just a little to bring an extra portion of joy to someone's life. And that feels good. So, to sum it up; good food, good scenery, good company, doing good - IT'S ALL GOOD!

3 comments:

Annie Ditto said...

Very cool story Dad-- Who knew that becoming a photographer would make you MORE of an instrument in the Lord's hands??! I love it! And I love all the pictures! Wish I were there to eat fish and chips with you!

linda said...

That's my boss! Great pictures of Elliott and Jodie for their anniversary. Thank you. Wish I could go there for fish and chips! Linda

Unknown said...

Hey...That's my ex-Boss from 1984! Both Elliott and Jodie have aged gracefully, and they look wonderfully happy.

Beautiful pictures, lovely story. Thanks for sharing.