Monday, July 21, 2008

STOP ... and take it all in

One of the things I've learned about life from carrying a camera around at all times is that sometimes, despite schedules or comfort or plans or whatever, you just have to stop what you're doing to appreciate the beautiful things around you. So, on the drive home from teaching institute last week, I had to pull the car over to the side of I-283, get the camera out and take this picture.


Normally, if I'm trying to take an "artsy" picture a great deal of care is taken to eliminate distractions from the subject of the composition. There was no opportunity for that here. There were no other available angles, the sun was sinking fast and if the moment was to be recorded it was now or never and this is where I was. Retrospectively I discovered that what I like about the picture is the very fact that there are telephone poles and wires, florescent signs, guardrails, tail lights, etc. and amidst all that noise, all the man-made stuff, you can find beauty if you want to. It's right there in front of you if you'll just look. That's pretty much how life is at all times - full of good and beauty and blessings if you're willing to look and not be distracted by the less important things.

2 comments:

Ditto said...

Wow Gorgeous picture dad! I love the anaology too! I'm SOOO glad you are doing your blog again! I love it and I love you too! Keep us updated on all the exciting things going on! :)

Ditto said...

that was Annie by the way, not Kelly :)